Saturday, November 08, 2008

My dream trip to United states

Just by the time I am celebrating the new house warming cereony at Kakinada in first week of October, I got the opportunity to represent the India's most reputed company Infosys at JPMC, Delaware.

It has been wish to travel to US before my marriage and I settle down in life. Many times I wondered if this will happen as I dreamt or not; but then I confirmed after hearing to the client invitation on my travel that "Dare to dream and Make to the dream come true"...

Here goes my first tale on my travel to US...

I got the itinerary confirmed from my travel agent that I am travelling through Frankfurt on Lufthansa flight. I managed to pack the baggage in short time with all possible things I remember. Reached Bengalooru International Airport in a very tense and emotional mood, after all me being one such typical guy who is travelling for the first time away from mother land...

I checked in to the airport with warm welcome messages from cute air staff of Lufthansa and managed to grab a seat near the exit gate 22. I have asked some curious questions to the attending officers like if the baggage got placed corretly, if I need to unlock them etc... Anyway they answered patiently and made me comfortable. I waited there for around 3.5 hours before the start of flight.

I could have taken some food items like apples, chips, cool drink... but able to manage my hunger as I knew that I will be served good enough in the flight.

My flight started on time 3:25am IST Wednesday.

Significant moment before boarding: Free boarding allowing the old and familes to comfortably board the flight made me feel great about the Lufthansa. This whole scene made me remember the days when I was going to college on ferry crossing the river Godavari, the driver used to invite any lady, children to step in and later the rest used to follow.
Surprisingly the flight started perfectly on time with out any delay...As usual I opted the Window seat to have a clear view from top of the sky...
Food - Asian Veg has been served with hot Black coffee; fruit juice of Orage has been offered...Then I had my head phones on and tuned the India Rythm channel. Listeningto to the hitzz of bollywood, I slept... With the alarm already ON in my mobile, I woke up at 7:00 am india time. Looked around from the window is the beautifyigl sun shining in India... I think flight has just then passingKarachi as I could make out make out some hilly terrains.... Picture resembled the golden ring during eclipse...Continued my sleep...Meanwhile I got served with hot coffee (black with out sugar)...With such relaxing taste, i took a nap again... During this time, I missed my woollen cap... Anyway it just drpped off my head... later collected in Frankfurt airport...Later to, search for it I woke up again and observed that am flying on top of a sea,.. Nice view once again....Then the time is almost 10:00 am IST... Inquiring with air hostess, I got to know that another 2 hours is needed for reaching Frankfurt..Later I have been served with breakfast of India style = Idli and Uthappam (small size)... Had the loaf of bread and hot coffee, and had a sip of black coffee again... Then the time is almost 11:30 am IST and pilot announced that we will be landing in next half an hour....Fligt is 40 minutes ahead of time and Franfurt skyline view is awesome and luckily I got to see the highway and railway line as well.. Nice to see that...After landing it took 20minutes to reach the Terminal... at B 32...
From there on walking for 20 minutes thru the corridor, boarded a train to reach Terminal 1 for A60 gate..Security check is done where I was asked to scan the siva lingam... For the sake of a valid reason, i dont have option to put it under scanner.. Some other Indian old man is asked to pull out his Yagnopaveetham as well.. :) :) :)
Now the time is 2:10pm IST Wednesday... Flight is expected at 4:30 pm IST now and am ending this tale for now...

Episode @ Franfurt....

I always have a very special feeling and respect on Germany. Reason being the discipline and values what they have been maintaining from ages. Their researches on Sanskrit and their respect for our culture always makes me feel proud of being Indian. I tried to raom around the airport but ended up in tiredness as I was sleepless all the night. Anyway, I looked around all the flights landing and taking off in various directions. I can say this airport is a good junction like our Vijayawada Railway station. You can see many people fro different countries trying to take the transit flights.. There was some detruction work going near to the airpot and the cranes and bull dozer machines are busy in their work. Spent almost an hour at this sight. Not just me there is ample crowd at this view point.

Some how time ticked and it is 1:00 pm German local time and passengers are called for boarding. Again the same scene as happened at BIAL, the air staff lady has searched for a small cute girl among the crowd and welcomed her to FREE board the flight. Proud papa almost 7ft in height kissed the girl and boarded the flight and we followed.

Transit flight to Philadelphia from exit gate 60

The flight to Philly is almost 350 seater with individaul Television sets for every one from the frong seat rear. This time I could get my choice of watching the TV and browsed the channels.. Tamil is the only regional language in the options and watched Kannu Kannum movie. Food is good and German host looked handsome like those who come in AXE advt. He respected me lot and taken care by serving the vegetarian food me being the only person in the flight to opt it.

After I completed my lunch flying in that hot sun, (extremely bright and hot sun all the.way) I slept for a while during which rest of the people had pork and hot drinks...

The flight is onto Atlantic in one and half hours of time. Rest all nothing to see, only water every where... or some other flight on other side crossing from other side.... I was able to understand what air traffic means...

By the time it is 4:00 pm US local time, we are just 300 miles away to Philly airport, but due to bad weather .. flight almost took a circle in lower layer... you can imagine howit would be in such situation!! That too 2 to 3 other flights taking off from / landing to the airport... It was like movie for me... As Philly is next to sea, till the moment I landed, I was feeling like falling into the water... Last but not least after all the sea is crossed, it is a big lake next to the airport over which it almost touched the water...

Comfrtably landed in the airport and then walked into the immigration counter. Immigration formality is simple and the officer has given the I94 till 15th Dec, 45 days as expected... Collected my luggage from a circularly moving chain identifying mine.

It is to my pleasant surprise that I have seen shopkeeper in the airport speaking in Hindi and felt good and safe. Reached him and spoke to him in Hindi. But very surprisingly he did not let me speak in Hindi and answered for everything in English that too in proper accent. Anyway, he understood that I am from India and helped me out in gettting the Calling card for 10$. Then I called my friend Ramesh who is staying in NJ and updated hi where I am. He took around 4 0minutes to reach airport during which I made myself comfortable longing there in a sofa set. The captions, signatures around the place were a little time pass for me. Finally I called up my fellow Infoscion Prabhat with whom am going to stay and got the directions to reach Newark, DE.

If my friend would not have come, I might have felt a bit lonely and very different and may have ended up in confusion, but it was quite a good experience that I felt homely being with him. Reached Newark, DE in about half an hour time and met Prabhat and his room mates - Shashi, Uppili Vijay. It was a nice team to share the space in that apartment. I will talk about them in next blog....

This brings me to end this narration of my travel to United States and looking forward to key in my further experiences which were more and more interesting...

Thanks for the time in reading this blog... :) Have fun... See you soooooooooooooooooooooon :)

Pinak

No comments: